SHINHWA IS BACK, BITCHES!!
And that shall count for a post.
So, a while ago Dreamy told me to do a little Shinhwa pimp post. I considered doing video post but was too lazy to do it. So I just decided to do a little moving picture post cos they’re easier and I already have lots on my Shinhwa folder.
Disclaimer: these are NOT made by me. I found all of them online.
Commence SPAM! Sorry, but I won’t put these under a cut. Cos Shinhwa is too preshyuussss.
It had been a really long time since I visited my favourite Shinhwa forums. And today I was being a little nostalgic and lurked around there again. As I was browsing I saw there were a lot of discussions and QA between the fans about Shinhwa. Kind of like the usual 100 QA. I decided to indulge a bit and compile some of them for me personally, thus the whole “Shinhwa Fan 20 Questions”. So, let’s start!
1. What is your Top 5 Shinhwa songs? A tough start! 10 Studio Albums, 4 Winter Albums, 4 Singles and a bunch of other independent songs obviously make it hard to pick just 5. They have close to 200 songs and of course they’re not all perfect but man, I have so many favourites among those and they keep changing depending on the weather, hahaha. But anyways, with heavy heart I will have to leave a lot of my favourite songs. My pick would be Snowy Night, Perfect Man, One More Time, Eusha Eusha, and Deep Sorrow. Reasons? My Shinhwa obsession started around the same time as Snowy Night release in 2007. Perfect Man is an addictive song that I can listen to 50 times a day, and I have done that in the past. One More Time is sentimental to me because this is one of Shinhwa’s last songs before they had to go on hiatus and I feel a little twist in my heart whenever I listen to it. Eusha Eusha never fails to cheer me up. Deep Sorrow has got to be one of Shinhwa’s sexiest songs ever.
2. If you win a date with Shinhwa, who would you take and how would your day be like? I remember answering I’d take Junjin before, but now that I think about it I think I’d pick Dongwan. Because stuff like this tends to get pretty awkward but I feel like Dongwan would be someone you can click right away. For one, he’s chatty and I think I would have fun laughing at his stupid silly antics too. I’d probably take him to the countryside because he seems to love traveling and taking pictures. I want to spend time talking about random stuff and about his life away from the spotlight. And of course I would prepare a gift, a mirror, because dude LOVES to look at himself in the mirror, hahah.
3. Out of all Shinhwa members solo effort, which one do you like? I’m more of a drama girl than a music girl, so for me I’ll give the crown to Eric for his drama Que Sera Sera, which is still one of my favourite dramas of all time. Runner up would go to 2 members, Minwoo for his 4th album M-Rizing and Dongwan for his 2nd album The Secret. Both of these are such great albums. Now, I like Andy’s and Junjin’s songs as well, but objectively, they haven’t displayed the level of quality that Minwoo and Dongwan did. As for Hyesung, he is an amazing vocalist and I’m sure his albums are great but I’m not really one for ballad so it’s not my taste.
4. What is your favourite Shinhwa variety show moments? Another tough one because they have appeared in numerous variety shows. I’ll pick some I can remember. One is: Shinhwa in Yashimanman. For a Shinhwa fan, this is like gold, man. A lot of secrets being spilled and there are so many hilarious moments in this appearance. Second: Shinhwa’s Love Letter. Not just that episode but basically the whole 1st season of Love Letter. W get to know the ‘Ideal Guy’ contenders with their hot date and the ‘Minor League’ losers with their intense training, and naturally chaos ensues, heh!
5. What would you do if Shinhwa breaks up? The million dollar question and my answer is that I don’t think Shinhwa will break up. That’s not exactly answering the question but I think that Shinhwa’s gone past the point where there’s a question if they will break up or not. They were to break up if their 2nd album didn’t sell well, but then it did. They almost broke up when their contract with SM Entertainment ended, but they stuck together and got through it. In short, they have weathered so many obstacles that breaking up at this point is just pointless and they know it too.
6. Do you miss Shinhwa? Err, duhhh! I became a fan when Shinhwa’s activities were winding down. So I had to be content with just watching their old shows, listening to their old songs, and keeping my ears open for the occasional news of the group. But more than that, I miss being obsessed with Shinhwa, getting home straight away from school so I could watch the next part of Shinhwa in X-Man or Heroine 5, going to youtube and type the word ‘shinhwa’ and just watched random videos. I also miss having chats and crazy discussions with fellows Shinhwa fans. Heh, let’s hope Shinhwa comes back soon. Next year Eric and Wannie are out of military anyway, wohoooo!
7. Shinhwa and plastic surgery? I’ve heard a bunch of speculations and actual facts regarding the members fixing themselves up. What I know is that Dongwan got a nose job and Jinnie got his eyes done. They admitted it a long time ago so it’s not exactly news. I’m still sore about Junjin’s surgery because I think he looked older and more tired after the work done. People speculated about Hyesung getting his eyes done and Eric getting his nose (or lips??) done. I don’t think Eric got surgeries, but I do think Hyesung got a double eyelid cause his eyes look pretty different now compared to his younger self. I think Hyesung looks better now tho.
8. Does Shinhwa have a big influence in your life? Not really, but it does creep in sometimes. It was only after liking Shinhwa that I seriously thought of visiting Korea for real and I did. There’s also the tiny stuff that is unconsciously influencing my daily life. A few weeks ago, I had to buy a headphone because my old one was falling apart and I just automatically picked an orange one. Why orange, you say? Cause orange is Shinhwa’s colour. Simple as that.
9. If Shinhwa wasn’t Shinhwa, where do you think they would be right now? I think Eric would have stayed in the States and got himself married to a Californian hottie. Minwoo would have become an entertainer anyway, or a dancer because this field is like his calling. Dongwan would have been a journalist, I think, because he’s very eloquent and loves to get his thoughts out there. Hyesung would’ve been a salaryman who frequented karaoke place (to sing) and was married with children. Junjin would have been a PE teacher in Elementary school because he’s crazy about sport and little kids. Andy would have been a businessman because he excels in his finances and is independent.
10. What is Shinhwa’s best album so far? Although I like the 6th album for its slightly RnB sound, I have to give numero uno to 7th Album, Brand New. After parting with SM, people didn’t think Shinhwa could make it. But Brand New came out with such a bang. It was helped by intense promotions, different look, a positive attitude, but above all, the album itself is full of fabulous songs. It was a different sound than their previous albums and the reinvention was succesful.
11. If you can give presents to Shinhwa members, what would they be? I already said I would give mirror to Dongwan. I want to give a bunny for Eric so he can treat it better than his neighbour’s bunny, hehe (there’s a story behind Eric’s bunny signature). Hair mousse for Hyesung so he can style his hair to his heart’s content. Beanie for Junjin because he wears it even in the summer. Shopping voucher for Minwoo who is a total fashionista. Love potion for Andy so he can finally find love after years of being single.
12. If you can take one Shinhwa member to a desserted island, who would you take? Now, refrain from playing out suggestive scenarios! I want to take Andy, because he’s a great cook!
13. You know you’re a Shinhwa fan when… When you start a)to insist that orange is your favourite colour, b)compare every single boyband to Shinhwa and thinks that Shinhwa is better, c)scour all of internet to find if one of their rare DVD special is being sold, etc.
14. Who, among the members, do you think is…. a)the funniest? I think none of them is comedian funny, but all of them are crazy! b)the most shy? I used to think Hyesung, but after watching We Got Married, I think it’s Andy. c)the most playful? Like I said, all of them (or at least 4, excluding Minwoo and Hyesung, are) are crazy, but the king of it is ET Eric! d)the most talkative in interviews? Minwoo and Dongwan are like the speaker of the group. Andy and Eric would be in the corner playing among themselves and Hyesung standing around being quiet. Junjin would either join the RicDy madness or in a good day, help out MinWan answering questions, haha. e)up for fan service? Absolutely Minbong. f)he cuddliest? Hmm, I don’t know. Probably the two magnae, Andy and Junjin. g)looooves giving hugs? Eric, no question. Just how many times have we seen him jumping on Hyesung or Andy?
15. Favourite Shinhwa member? I’m going to change this question to: which member solo news do you follow most often? For me it’s Eric, Junjin, and Dongwan.
16. If you can find celebrity girflfriends for the members, who would you match them up with? For Eric, probably someone slightly older than him with a quirky charm like him too. One contender would be Choi Kang Hee. For Minwoo, I’d introduce him to Park Yejin who’s feminine but can be tough when necessary. For Dongwan, it has to be someone who can appreciate and endure his brand of wackiness and match up with her own crazy, I’d go for Koyote’s Shinji. For Hyesung, a super feminine lady but also full of aegyo, like former Jewelry Lee Jihyun aka Queen of Danghyunaji. For Junjin, a prettygirl who seems nice and the type to bring home to meet mom, like actress Han Damin. For Andy, definitely Solbi, no question. Hehe, sorry, my We Got Married bias is still so strong. Ansol couple FTW!
17. If you can get one member to perform one dance, what would it be? Aaahhh, tough!! Between Andy’s heart dance to Dongwan’s Doloop, everything is so entertaining. But I’ll have to go with Hyesung’s ‘Mom Buy Me That’ dance! Too hilarious!
18. If you can interview Shinhwa, what is the one question you would like to ask to each member? For Eric, If you can have only one solo career, would you rather be an actor or a singer/rapper? For Dongwan, Why are you so obsessed with Japan?? For Junjin, When will you get married, you’re not getting any younger?? For Hyesung, will you ever venture into acting? For Minwoo, Can you make one song especially for me? For Andy, Which one are you??
19. What do you think of Eric as a leader? Bias aside, I really do respect Eric as a leader. He’s charismatic to boot, but he knows how to lower himself so that the other members can treat him like a friend. It seems like he understands the inner workings of every single one of his members and can position himself so that everyone feels comfortable. I also like how Eric doesn’t hog the spotlight. If asked, he would answer. But if not, he would let the other guys have their moments. If you notice, Eric usually stands in the corner during interviews or variety shows. When Shinhwa was on the brink of breaking up, Eric united his members so that they can still perform under the name of Shinhwa. Look at what Yunho of DBSK is doing right now. Eric would be disappointed.
20. What would you like to see Shinhwa/members doing in the next 5 years? Only one. I want to see them have group activities under the name of Shinhwa again. The last time they did that was for their 8th album in 2006, which is like AGES ago. For the next 3 years, member will go to and come from military service. But after that, I would really like it if Shinhwa, not only holds concerts, but also promotes on TV so that even the new fans of K-Pop would know who Shinhwa is and how long they have been together!